Friday, September 2, 2011

We're off to see the dentist...

I took The Boy to the dentist today to get 3 teeth pulled.  Not because of poor hygiene, although that's a whole other "boy story."  I mean The Boy will literally shower or bathe 2-3 times a day, has numerous "manly" haircare and body care products, but I can't get him to brush his teeth to save his life.  Unless you specifically tell him to brush them and then follow up by threatening to touch his toothbrush he won't do it.  He "forgets" on a daily basis.  I just don't get it.  But I digress.... he had to go to the dentist to have 3 baby teeth pulled.  Hyzy/Hall children seem to value their baby teeth above all things and those damn teeth won't fall out.  He's 13 years old now and I think he's lost 8 baby teeth naturally.  The rest have been pulled or are still hanging around in his mouth.

Had the 3 teeth pulled with very little fanfare.  He was nervous, but came through like a champ - bravery and all that jazz.  So off we (Zack, the tooth fairy and I) went to the magical place of tooth fairy prizes.... Target.  I told The Boy I would get him whatever he wanted, Xbox game, Wii game, Nerf gun... whatever.  I mean even though it's not my fault he had to have 3 teeth pulled it still sort of sucked so I was in major "guilt make it all better" mode.  At one point when it looked like he couldn't find anything he really wanted, I even offered to buy a new DS for him, but he declined.
What did we end up with... Cheese-Its, Pop-tarts, Gobstoppers and Junior mints.  Nothing but sugar, preservatives and processed food product.  It seems like there is something fundamentally wrong with rewarding good dentist behavior with nothing but sugar, sugar and more sugar, but did that stop me?  Nope, that's what the boy wanted, that's what the boy got!

No comments:

Post a Comment