Thursday, February 9, 2012

New Recipe Night - Bourbon Street Chicken

I found this recipe on my new addiction Pinterest.  I can't stop that thing, you can lose hours on that website just looking at nothing.  But I did find this nugget of yummy.  When I stumbled on it I figured I had to try it since this is the only chicken Zachary has EVER eaten voluntarily - that wasn't pressed into a shape and breaded... As a matter of fact it's one of the only reasons I will go to the mall when he asks, because I'm pretty much guaranteed to get him to eat some "real food."  Now I'm sure there are many who would claim that Bourbon/Teriakyi Chicken from the mall probably only qualifies dubiously as "real food."  But in our house, when it comes to Zack, anything non-carbohydrate based is considered "real food" including hotdogs, corn dogs, bacon or even PBJ.  If it's not a waffle or cereal and has protein anywhere in it... we jump for joy if he'll eat it.  So, Bourbon Chicken...SCORE!

Bourbon Street Chicken
2 lbs boneless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp cornstarch (if thicker sauce is desired)

Heat oil in a large skillet, add chicken pieces; cook until lightly browned.  Remove chicken.  Add remaining ingredients, heat over medium heat until well blended and dissolved.  Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.  Serve over hot rice.


Easy Peasy, lemon squeezy.  Zack proclaimed it "good" and ate all that I gave him.  Another keeper!  The only thing I might do differently is try and put it in a crock pot so that the chicken gets a little more tender.  It was quite as tender as the mall chicken.  And we all know that if there's anything to aspire to it's "mall chicken!"  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment