Sunday, January 3, 2010

My dogs are just like children

During the "blizzard of '09" we ran out of dog food. When I schlepped to the store, I discovered they'd run out of dogfood as well, or at least the brand we buy. So, I had to substitute. Generally we feed our dog Iams minichunks. Nothing fancy, just plain, uniform little chunks of dog-flavored food. No complaints from either of the pooches. But as a substitute I chose Beneful... it had lots of different colored, different shaped and supposedly different flavored chunks. I thought it might be fun, a little change of pace. So, I brought it home, mixed it with the dog food we had left and began to use it.

As I sit here drinking my coffee (remember I'm weaning... not cold turkey...don't judge me!) I'm watching them eat. Here's what they do... they grab a mouthful of food. Then they drop it on the floor, spread it out and eat their favorite parts. I can almost hear them...." What's this green one?" "I don't know, what's this funny shaped one? You try it... No you try... I'm not trying it..." At which point they get another mouthful and pick out all the good parts. And I'm left to go in sweep up when they are finished. Now eventually when hunger overrides... they finish their bowls. It's just like my kids at dinner....when maybe a stray parsley leaf crosses their plate... "What's this green thing?" Holding it suspiciously to their nose and sniffing....

The other thing I've noticed is when I first put the food down in the morning... Cooper will go in sometimes and eat all his favorites out of the bowls before Zoey is hip to what's going on. Very similar to what happens when I first come home from the Commissary and the drawers and cupboards are full of "good stuff." Someone (no names) will come down and hoard all the most delectable items before the other one even knows they are there....

Ah siblings.....

No comments:

Post a Comment