Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Aunt Clare's Day

It's "that" day again. I've made no bones about the fact that I HATE Valentines day. Always have since middle school or high school at least. I won't go into the details, but basically it's a holiday crafted to make 90% of the population feel miserable. Either you don't have someone special and you wish you did or you do have someone special but they are a schmuck or like me you have someone wonderful, but it's too late to make up for past "injustices" :o). Either way you have to listen to people swoon and simper and goo and gush. It's enough to make one vomit! Bleeck... so anyway, I had the most brilliant idea in the shower (it's one of the few quiet, private places - I do some of my most brilliant thinking there). Not only is it Valentines Day, but it is or was my Aunt Clare's Birthday. Sadly she died just a few months ago and has left us a much sadder, duller world. She was one of the most kind, generous, loving giving women I ever knew.
John always called her Mrs. Claus. She had 6 of her own children and I can't even begin to count the number of grand and great-grand children. But the most amazing thing is that she treated all of her extended family as if we were her children. Birthday cards, anniversary cards, get-well cards, and a Christmas box that rivaled Santa's bag. It was never-ending. So, who better to usurp Valentines Day, than the most generous, loving, self-sacrificing woman I know. Henceforth... I will no longer recognize Valentines Day, but instead will celebrate Aunt Clare's Day by trying to live up to her example of loving, giving and generosity of spirit.

That being said, much to my dismay I can't just ignore the day. Just as I attempted to not pass on my prejudice about brussel sprouts, soggy cereal and vacuuming to my children; I have tried not to ruin Valentines Day for them. Therefore, everyone received a new toothbrush, with a loving note! :o)

John also jumping on the "can't just ignore Valentines day" bandwagon, bought me my favorite candy and included a loving note! :o)
That's the way the HyzyHouse rolls on Valentines Day... Toothbrushes and PostIt notes. We are "stickin' it to the Hallmark Man" one Valentines Day at a time!
And henceforth we will be able to celebrate whole-heartedly Aunt Clare's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment