Monday, August 29, 2011

It's All Over But the Crying!

We moved our girl down to Radford this weekend.  I don't know how it can be true that my sweet baby girl is in college now.  I must admit it was a little bit harder for me than I thought it would be.  I'm so excited and happy for her, but at the same time I can't believe she's not going to be here everyday.   It would be so much easier if they could go to college when they are freshman or sophomores in high school.  No one likes them at that age and it would so much easier to let them go.  Instead, life waits until they turn into real people, fun people that you want to hang around with and then they leave for college.  We got her all moved in with no problem.  Their room is actually much bigger than we expected and they had plenty of room to fit everything in.
Roommate Samantha

Zack putting together the incredibly complicated storage shelf

It reminded me a lot of the first day of Kindergarten panic.  You are sending them off, not knowing if they'll have anyone to eat lunch with, if they'll find friends, if people will be mean to them, if they'll get lost or be sad or whatever.  But instead of getting them home safe and sound at the end of the day - it lasts for 3 months! You've said all you can say, you've tried to equip them to stand on their own two feet and be happy and successful and self confident, but you don't know if any of it sticks. You know how wonderful and beautiful and smart and kind and fun and amazing they are and you can only hope that everyone else sees it.  I don't know how my parents did it.  At least we have texting and FaceTime and Brenna doesn't seem to mind my endless "what are you doing now", "what did you eat for lunch" texts!  :o)  I told her she should change my name in her contacts list to something like Too Cool 99 and then all the "kids" wouldn't know she was getting texts from her mother 85,000 times a day!  She said she didn't care if they knew.  Love that girl. 

So, we left her on Sat and drove home.  I must admit I was very weepy for the whole day.  Every time someone was nice to me, I burst into tears. But John my hero stepped right up to the plate and anytime he thought I was getting weepy again he'd reach over and grab my...my... you know my.. Va jay jay.  Which immediately pissed me off and cured the tears!  That's my guy! 
 I think it's very interesting how each of us projects our own fears onto her.  I'm terrified she won't have any friends and will be sad and lonely all the time.  John is only worried about grades and academics.  I guess if you put us together we make a complete worrying person.

I am much less weepy now.  I've talked to her a couple of times and she's doing great.  She had her first day of classes and all went fabulously.  We've decided to have her drop History because she was taking 17 hours, but with Biology and Chemistry - I think that's too many.  For her first semester there's nothing wrong with taking fewer hours and concentrating on the core classes.  She can take history anytime.

She's doing all the right things, taking care of everything that needs to be taken care of.  Staying organized and prepared.  I'm so excited for her to be successful and have a great time.  Not too great a time.... I went to college too.

No comments:

Post a Comment