Friday, June 28, 2013

Summer Week One

I don't know why I even pretend to try and blog in a timely manner.  Time just keeps slip, slip, slipping away.  We've completed out first week of summer, but frankly I've been busier than ever.  It seems like something every night and during the day.

1.  I've been running like crazy, almost every day, especially with school being out.  I've found my rhythm.  I still get up at 6am, have my tea, do my computer and then get out and run by 7am.  Beat the heat and for some reason it starts my day off right.  Then I come home and walk the dogs.  I have it all done by 930am and I have the whole rest of the day ahead of me. It actually makes me feel a little smug. :o)   I've run 20 out of 28 days and erged 2 of the other days.  Yeah for me.  I still can't seem to get any faster, but I figure as long as I'm running, my heart is beating and the sweat is pouring - then I'm doing okay.

2.  Coach Cox has started Crew Group Fun Runs every Weds night at 7pm.  It's been awesome - they are open to everyone and I think it's a great idea, a great way for the team to stay in touch and to encourage the kids to stay in shape.  The first week we had 9 people, 2nd week we had 28 and last week we had 34.  Our goal for next week is 50!  It's really awesome.  We have parents come and join us, we encourage the kids to bring friends. We all run at our own pace, but it's good competition for the kids.  Mostly freshman are turning out, but that bodes well for the team next year.  A little disappointing that more Varsity kids are showing up, but what are you gonna do.  We are having so much fun... seriously we are... that we're going to add another night.  We'll start meeting on Sat nights at 6pm and we'll do circuits, intervals and other stuff.  I'm really excited about all the ideas and the enthusiasm that Coach Cox has.  It's going to be a great season.

3.  As of today I have officially given up all my Viking Athletic Booster Club responsibilities!!  After doing Spiritwear and everything else for the last 5 years, I guess it's time for me to move on.  It's a little difficult to give up the Spiritwear store, I really think of it as my baby.  I will continue to work in there on Fridays, but I won't be in charge of anything.  I've just decided that if I'm going to spend so much of my time doing something, I would like to be at least a little bit appreciated and that is definitely not the case with VABC.  Crew takes up so much of my time that I certainly won't be bored.  And, I love Crew, I love the kids, I love the team, I love the sport and I love the parents.  So, if I'm going to be crazy busy, I'd rather be busy doing something I really enjoy with people who appreciate me and are fun to be around.

4.  Brenna is doing great this summer.  She's in and out.  Doing lots of Bat research, small mammal trapping (Smammaling) and even getting paid for it.  She's been running with me, which is nice because she and I run at about the same pace.

5.  The other exciting thing is Zack.  He's also working out this summer, running and erging.  He's also started eating better.  He's actually eaten dinner with us a couple of times.  He's been making eggs, discovered he loves salmon burgers and actually ate some chicken the other night!  He's also been chowing down on bananas, protein bars and fruti.  I'm just thrilled when he'll eat anything besides Eggo Waffles or Fruit Loops.  He's doing a sculling camp for the next 3 weeks and then a rowing camp all of August.

6.  Been to the pool once and gotten my first official burn of the summer.  Doesn't seem like it's summer until I get my initial burn on.

All in all, it's been a successful first week of summer.  Here's hoping that things slow down a little bit and I can get a start on my To Do list.  Of course, it's the same To Do list from last year because I got absolutely NOTHING done last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment