Friday, August 23, 2013

Seems like saying goodbye isn't getting any easier.


Due to the "Great Reckless Driving Car Loss" Debacle... I had to drive Brenna down to Radford to go back to school.  So it was Road Trip day... We actually had a very nice drive down - we were testing her insistence that she could make it to Radford in 4 hours without going more than 5 miles over the speed limit.  It has always take John and I more like 4.5-5 hours.... so the science experiment was on.  And..... Brenna was right.  We made it in exactly 4 hours and then driving home same thing.  She was vindicated.

     I got to see her new little house.  It's little bitty, but actually pretty decent - especially if you view it as your first college house.  She's living there with 4 other girls.  They each have their own room, she has to share a bathroom with 2 other girls, but that doesn't seem to bother her at all.  There are 3 bedrooms upstairs and 2 in the basement.  They have a really nice big backyard, a cute front porch and Brenna's room overlooks the front porch, so she can climb out her window and sit on the roof.  She loves that, not sure how I feel about it, but whats a parent to do.
The only funky thing, is there are not closets in the rooms???  One of the upstairs rooms has a closet and there is one hall closet for the 2 other rooms to share - including Brenna.  We made the requisite $200 trip to Walmart to find some creative storage solutions and stock her pantry.  Got a portable closet to go behind her door, some under bed bins and an additional set of drawers to go at the foot of her bed.  I think she'll be able to make it work.  She loves it and that's what matters.
So good, but sooo bad!

We also found time to hit Sonic for pretzel roll chili cheese dogs and onion rings.  I mean if I'm going to be sitting in the car for 8 hours, no run or walk, then it might as well be total cheat/free day!!  I also consumed a more than significant amount of fruit snacks on the way home!  Pretty much drowned my sorrows in fruit snacks!

I must admit, it was almost as hard to leave her this time as it was the first time!  It certainly is easier to have her drive herself off to school, while we stay home and wave!  Something about leaving her is very hard.  I almost cried... no tears actually fell, but I was very sad during the first part of the drive home.  I think part of the problem is that I don't just love my baby girl, but I really and truly like her.  I like hanging out with her, I like going to the pool with her, I like talking about stuff with her and I think that makes it harder to leave her.  I'm leaving my baby girl and my friend.  That just stinks.  I'm sure we'll adjust to the new normal with her back at school, and she's certainly excited and happy to be back so there's no reason to be sad.  But I guess when you are leaving your baby... reason doesn't really factor in.

No comments:

Post a Comment