Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ghost of Halloweens Past and Present

We had another wonderful Mt. Burnside BBQ for Halloween this year. Got the tent out, the BBQed butt, the friends and the candy... Oh the candy! That's half the fun, all getting together and trading candy.

This year and for the last 3-4 years the kids have really been in charge of doing their own costumes. They really don't want mom's input anyway.

So this year, Brenna recycled her Harry Potter Costume from Spirit Week at the High School. Easy enough and frankly a legitimate costume in my estimation. Zack on the other hand, dressed all in black, sort of. The original concept for the costume was he was going to be a shadow, lay around in the grass leaping up and scaring people. Hmm... not so much... really, we don't get enough people to scare and those that we do are small people who are pretty much scared all the time at Halloween. So, then it sort of morphed into a burglar? Really I just think maybe more of a thief... cause he's just stealing your candy with that crappy costume. :o) But who am I to judge.
A number of people mentioned and seemed confused/irritated/appalled that I would let my children still trick or treat at their advanced ages, but as long as they have a "costume" and say Trick or Treat I don't have a problem with it. And as I watched the "adults" at the BBQ, myself included, rifle through all the different candy buckets setting aside their "favorites" I decided you're really never to old to Trick or Treat!

Feeling a little nostalgic, I went through all the old photo albums and scanned some pictures of when I was truely in my heyday of Halloweening... when I still had "control" of my children and what "they" wanted to be... Plus, I needed to prove to myself that I wasn't a totally neglectful mother for not still crafting or purchasing costumes... So enjoy a trip down Halloween Memory Lane....
Halloween 1999 (Brenna -61/2, Zack - 1 1/2)
This was the first year that I had the idea to "theme" their costumes. Brenna was wearing a flowergirl dress and was an angel. And much to my eternal parental shame, Zack was deep in his Teletubbie phase and was "technically" Po - we said he was a devil. So... Angel and Devil. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Halloween 2000
This may have been one of my finest moments. Brenna was a scarecrow and Zack was a pile of leaves! I spent hours sewing those leaves all over a red onesie suit!
Halloween 2001
This is my finest moment! Little Miss Muffett and her spider! Yes, I actually sewed on this costume and we won a trophy at a local parade!
Halloween 2002
Dorothy and Toto... again literally weeks sewing little tuffs of yarn all over a black sweatsuit.
Halloween 2003

A witch and her bat.
Halloween 2004
A Housewife and her bag of "Gross"eries! You can't see it, but there are grease stains and plastic cockroaches and maggoty pantyhose sausages in these "gross"eries.
Halloween 2005

This year marked the beginning of the end... I think it was about 2 days before Halloween and still nothing. They ended up being a Nerd (with Nerds candy taped all over his shirt) and a Smartie Pants (with smarties taped all over her pants.) They seemed fine with the idea, but I knew... that the end was near... I had used up all I had...
Halloween 2006

Skater Dude and Butterfly Fairy. Really... it's wear your own clothes and carry a skateboard and wear your own clothes and borrow the neighbors fairy wings so I can still look good! This would be the last year that Brenna trick or treated with us. :o( She soon moved on to "better and cooler" company.
Halloween 2007
Zombie Scary Guy... courtesy of Dad's makeup skills and way too sexy Flapper Girl.
Halloween 2008

This was the Halloween with no Mom... I was working at the High School Football game. Zack was white face scary guy with cool blood that fills up the mask and then drips all down the costume and all over the garage! And Brenna was... beautiful, goth vampire something? :)
Probably only a few more years of costumes at all... Now it's more about the grown-ups hanging out, drinking some brews, BBQing some butt and swapping candy. I guess it could be worse.

1 comment: