Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Back to the Past - Part 3 or are we ever going to catch up to real time and does anyone really care?

The kids all settled in school, John hard at work and I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off.  Somehow I find myself still volunteering up at the High School with the booster club even though I DON'T HAVE A CHILD AT THE HIGH SCHOOL.  I had all sorts of grand plans to take a year off and relax, sub more, make more money...blah, blah, blah.   But when no one steps up to take your place, I just can't walk away, especially since I know Zack will be up there next year and I will feel compelled to help again, might as well just stay and keep the continuity.  Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking with it!
I also agreed to be the Secretary for the Crew Boosters even though I DON'T HAVE A CHILD THAT ROWS.  But I will next year, so continuity blah, blah, blah!
So, I've been running around like crazy working on Spiritwear, Concessions, Athletic Hall of Fame and Fall Crew Camp.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it and think it was important, but it just boggles my mind how many people there are that DON'T HELP.  That decided someone else will do it.  They want all the benefits, but don't want to put any of the time or effort in and it's starting to wear me down.  But I made my bed and now I have to lay in it and I'm trying to do it without too much complaining.  Someday, the kids will all be gone and I will be missing these busy days.

I love me my Diet Dew!

The other thing that is not making me happy although I have to trust that in the long run it will... I have given up caffeine and soda!  I know it's freaking crazy, but I've done it.  I have been worried off and on for years about the amount of artificial sweetener I consume.  Generally a cup of coffee a day, with 3 spoons of Splenda, and then 4-5 diet sodas a day.  That's a lot, can't be healthy... blah, blah, blah.
A few weeks ago our coffee maker broke and it took me about 3 days to get a replacement, so that was 3 days without coffee and I figured if I could go 3 days, why not keep going.  And if I'm giving up artificial sweetener, then I'm giving up soda, because I could never drink a REAL soda! :o)  So, as of right now I am caffeine free and soda free.  But I am not happy about it!  I don't feel any better, don't have any more energy and don't seem to notice anything different than an increase in my longing for a Diet Coke.  I do think that maybe the number of headaches I get has decreased a little bit, but it's hard to tell.  The official count is last caffeine - August 18th,  last soda - Sept 11th.  I think I might let myself have an occasionally caffeine free Diet Coke - once in a while, but I realize that's a slippery slope....  More than anything I miss my Diet Mountain Dew!

No comments:

Post a Comment