Wednesday, November 14, 2012

New Recipe Night - Perfect Portion Control

Lately, I have been craving Apple Pie.  I love me some Apple Pie!  It's funny, I never even liked pie until I started doing Weight Watchers 10 years ago.  I don't know what it was about Weight Watchers, maybe the depravation, but I started loving pie and dessert.  Anyway, the weather has turned cold and that always brings thoughts of warm apple pie and ice cream to the forefront of my mind.  At the same time, I am enjoying the successful weight loss I have been experiencing... so hesitate to embark on the deep, dark downward spiral that is having pie in my house.  Because once it's in my house then there's no moderation, there's no "just a small piece," it's all out Apple Pie Pig Out time!  But, I found my salvation...on Pinterest....
Bite-Sized Apple Pies
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 package (14.1oz) refrigerated pie pastry
3 Tbsp butter, melted, divided
2 medium tart apples, each cut into 8 wedges

      In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside 1 Tbsp.  On a lightly floured suface, unroll pastry.  Brush with 2 Tbsp butter sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
      Cut each sheet into 8 - 1in strips, about 8 inches long.  Wrap one strip around each apple wedge, placing sugared side of pastry against the apple.
      Place on parchment paper -lined baking sheet.  Brush tops with remaining butter; sprinkle with reserved sugar mixture.  Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.

1 apple wedge - 163 calories

These were soooo tasty! Just like a mini apple pie, paired with 1/4 cup of low fat ice cream and it was just perfect!  Now did I want to all 8 mini apple pies in one sitting... why yes I did... but I'm restraining myself.  It's all about portion control.  For some reason a whole apple pie sitting on the counter is fair game, but the individual apple pie wedges I can restrain myself.   Mind games, that's what it is, mind games!  Whatever works!



No comments:

Post a Comment