Tuesday, June 2, 2015

First Day of MY practice!

The adult rowing season officially started today.  I've been debating since the end of last season whether I should sign up for the competitive women's team or go with the newly created Intermediate team.  My gut said to go with the competitive women, but if I'm perfectly honest there are a couple of VERY intimidating women on that team.  I mean, scary ladies!   I went back and forth, back and forth.  I asked everyone I know who knows anything about rowing what I should do.  They all said competitive.  But only one other Novice, Jullie, decided to sign up, everyone else went Intermediate.  Was I being too arrogant to think I could skip a step?  Oh how I went back and forth.  I finally decided to just jump in with both feet and bite the bullet. (How's that for a mixed metaphor).  We all met on Saturday to go pick up the boat we're using and to do the inspections.  We only got about 45 minutes of rowing in and I was in the launch for 1/2 of that.  What I did learn is that NONE of the scary ladies are coming back this year... oh what a relief!  All the other women seemed very nice and very accepting!

Today was our first full practice.  Took out an 8 and a 4.  I was 2 seat (same as Saturday).  I actually liked 2 seat.  The woman in bow is really nice!  Practice actually felt pretty darn good.  We mainly did drills by 4 and 6 and then some 10 on/20 off by all 8 not the way back.  I wasn't disasterous and actually felt pretty good a couple of times.  I don't think I was any worse than anyone else.  Do I have much to work on... absolutely!!!  I still open my back way to early!  I tend to forget about early rollups when we bring up the stroke rate, I still use my inside hand to do everything so that my forearm tends to cramp up... I could go on and on, but I wasn't a disaster and I felt like I was keeping up reasonably well.  Yeah me!  We'll see how it goes as it gets more and more intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment