Wednesday, May 23, 2012

New Recipe Night - Bacon-Tomato Cheese Toasts

BEST YET!!!

John has been working hellacious hours lately and it makes it challenging to cook dinner.  Because given my history even the hint of people being absent for dinner gives me the perfect excuse to hang up my apron.  But if I don't cook occasionally, then there aren't any leftover and then even I don't have anything to eat.  So, I've been cooking and then just leaving it out and heating it up or remaking it when John gets home.  Can you say...Good Wife Award!  

Official version
Bacon - Tomato Cheese Toasts
2 ripe tomatoes
8 strips of bacon
4 slices of Texas toast or other thick sandwich bread
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup grated mozzarella
3/4 cup mayonnaise
5 scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 small zucchini, very thinly sliced
fresh ground pepper

1.  Preheat over to 400.  Core the tomatoes and thinly slice.  Place in a colander in the sink and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt; let drain for at least 15 minutes.
My version
2.  Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp.  Pour off and reserve the drippings, leaving 1 Tbsp in the skillet; toast the bread on one side in the drippings until golden.  Do this in batches, adding more drippings as needed.  Place the bread, toasted side down on a baking sheet.
3.  Combine the cheese with the mayo, scallions and parsley in a bowl.  Spread the cheese miture on the toasts, reserving about 1/3 cup.  Crumble bacon on top.  Shake any excess liquid front he tomatoes; distribute the zucchini and tomatoes month the toasts.  Dot with the reserved cheese mixture and season with pepper.  Bake until golden brown, 15 minutes.  Serve warm.

I did not have Texas toast so I used bagels.  I also left the zucchini off because it sounded icky to me, but next time I might try it.  Used strips of bacon instead of chopping it - quicker and easier.

These were STUNNINGLY delicious!  I ate one the next day for breakfast and will probably eat them all week for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment