Monday, January 7, 2013

1 down, 11 to go! Frozen 5K - Completed!

We did it.  The whole family finished the race.  No one cried, no one got lost and no one puked!  It was good. Zack was the fastest, then John, then Brenna and momma was the caboose!  I was only a bit slower than Brenna.  It's always harder than I think it's going to be.  I had to stop and walk a couple of times, but I never stopped longer than 30 sec and I tried to only walk for 15-20 sec and then pick up the pace and keep going.  I just keep wondering, is it every going to be easy?  Will I ever be able to run a whole 5K without stopping and be left wanting more??  I will admit that I LOVE the feeling when I'm done running.  But, I still don't like it much when I'm actually doing it.  I've decided that for me it's more of a mental problem.  If I think about stopping and walking then I do it... I'm not good at the push through, keep going, don't give up mentality.  I'm more of the "oohh that hurts, maybe I'll just walk for a little bit, everyone is doing it" mentality. Even so,  I still managed to better my time by 1min 50 sec!   That's all I really cared about.  First 5K - 33.58, this one 32.08.  If I can just do a little better each time, then that's a good progression.  Of course if I get to a really hilly course, then all bets are off - I hate hills!!  I bought a new GPS running watch.  It will track and record my course, distance, pace, time all sorts of cool stuff.  I used it for the race, but of course I forgot to stop it when I finished the race so it thought it took me 45 minutes to run.  I'll remember next time.  Now that I've finished the 5K Trainer app on my phone, I'm going to use the watch to monitor my runs.  Instead of running for a certain amount of time, now I'm going to run 3.1 miles each time and see if I can start improving my time.



Looking all energetic at the end!

Thinking I might die!

We look pretty good in the aftermath!

No comments:

Post a Comment