Thursday, January 17, 2013

Everybody...Let's Plank!

My newest Facebook Fitness Challenge... I've discovered much like my 5K trainer program, if I post it on FB I feel more accountable and might stick with it.  Even better if I can rope some friends into following along!  This is the latest thing I found while reading some blogs or on Pinterest - I don't actually remember where I found it.  But since I've lost some weight... 13lbs at last count... but who's count... I FREAKING AM!  Maybe I should add a little toning into my life and make the most of what I have.  So here it is...
I propose that for the next six weeks, we collectively focus on building our core strength by doing planks. Planks work the entire core, come in a bunch of different flavors depending on your fitness level and the specific areas you want to work, and are hugely effective when it comes to building a strong midsection. They’re also no joke, and who doesn’t like to feel hard core (no pun intended)?
Here are the challenge parameters: The first order of business is to test your current ability level by seeing how long you can hold a plank, using whatever variation is best for you right now (arms straight, on your elbows/forearms, legs extended, knees bent, etc.) provided that you note what that variation was and take it into consideration six weeks from now when it’s final exam time! 
Once you’ve got your base line recorded, your goal is to incorporate planks into 3 days of your weekly routine.  The overall aim is to increase your total plank time from week to week. You can keep your results to yourself, or share them with the rest of us challengers in the comments. At the end of six weeks, you’ll do a single plank hold again to compare to the one you did at the beginning.  Goal... 4 minutes!
I've got 6 friends doing it with me.  I've been going for 3 days right now and my scores are                                                         First day - a pitiful, measly... 1.06
Day 2 - 1.23
Day 3 - 1.44
It's getting a little better each day.  Still pretty sad... but again, as with the running... every little bit counts!


No comments:

Post a Comment