Saturday, September 21, 2013

No run, week one

It's been 7 days since my last run.... and I don't think my foot is much better.  It might hurt a little less, but not much.  I think the only thing that's saved me, is the first 4 days I was battling a cold and so I didn't feel like running or exercising or doing much of anything.  What I find to be really strange... is now when I see people running I'm actually a little bit jealous.  I feel a sense of longing, like "aahhh.. they get to run."  How weird is that...

I did manage to Erg one day.  I sweated, I huffed and puffed, but I'm not actually sure I really know what I'm doing on the Erg, so I'm not sure how beneficial it is.  It said I burned about the same about of calories as I do on a run, so I guess I'll consider it a success.

I also attempted to ride a bike...It was not a success...  I borrowed my friend Patti's bike... and well....  First of all, the whole concept of gears is gobbledegook to me.  Is the low number harder or easier,  which set of gears should I be changing and oh did I mention you have to brake with your hands... All I kept envisioning is me trying to stop, panicking and catapulting myself over the handlebars and into the street. So, I did what any self-respecting, modern woman would.. I googled it.  CLEAR.AS.MUD.  Not to mention the fact that my ability to retain information seems to be inversely proportional to my age.  I read the articles, I printed some off and still about 10 minutes into my ride I couldn't remember a damn thing and I looked at those gear shifters like they were written in Korean.  Then I started changing gears willy nilly, up... is that easier or harder?  Down... Is there even a difference.  I finally just decided to leave them in the middle and not worry about it.

By the way, did I mention the hills.... I don't like the hills going up OR coming down!!!   It was torture going up the hills, but I did it.  Coming down the hills totally freaked me out... too fast and the pedals
were just spinning so fast I couldn't keep my feet on them.  That cant' be right.  I'm not sure who was in charge of the ride, me or the bike. Actually, pretty sure the bike was in charge... in fact, I'm pretty sure that the bike was changing it's own gears when ever it damn well wanted to and that it was trying to buck me off into the path of oncoming traffic.  I definitely need to go hit my "bike guru" Jennie and get some Bike 101 before I try it again.  I also need to make sure I have a friendly working bike!!!
I'm not giving up, I certainly think I might eventually like biking.  I was a crazy workout for my legs, they were shaky and a little sore, so I know it will be a good workout... I just need to make sure I'm doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment