Saturday, March 10, 2012

New Recipe Night - Vegetable Edition... Spaghetti Squash with almonds

New Recipe Night - Vegetable Edition... so far out of my comfort zone, it can't even see the zone.  What you have to understand about the Hyzy House is that vegetables are not popular, at least not the cooked kind.  John will eat anything, but the kids won't eat anything and I don't care much for things of the vegetable variety if the truth be told.   We can eat the heck out of a salad or a veggie tray, but drop those same veggies in the oven or boiling water and...not so much.  For me it's more of a texture issue, the kids... it's just principal. I've been known to put the veggies on my plate and wait until the kids are done eating and leave the table and then dumping them down the sink.  For years ketchup and french fries qualified as a veggie in this house and when we have spaghetti we never have a veggie cause there's TOMATOES in the sauce!  But I've been trying to be brave and branch out with New Recipe Nights.  Years ago when I was hard and heavy into Weight Watchers I tried spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta and it wasn't awful, so when I saw this recipe in my favorite magazine...Food Network Magazine... I thought... Why not?
Spaghetti Squash with Almonds
1 3lb spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp ground cumin
kosher salt and pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced

Heat oven to 400. Place the squash on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the cut sides with 1 Tbsp of the oil and turn cut-side down.  Roast until tender 40-50 minutes.
Meanwhile, spread the almonds on a second rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven, tossing occasionally, until golden brown.  6-8 minutes.
In a medium bowl, stir together the lime juice, honey, cumin, 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
With a fork, gently scrape the strands of squash flesh into the bowl and toss with the lime juice mixture.  Sprinkle with the almonds and scallions.

This was TASTY, TASTY, TASTY!  Definitely a keeper and so very easy.  I think I'll have to try spaghetti squash in other things as well.  It would be good in soup or maybe as a pasta substitute again.  

So, yeah for me and yeah for stepping out of my comfort zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment