Tuesday, March 20, 2012

14...it's the new way to make me feel OLD!

It's such a freakin' cliche,  I know, but where does the time go?  I remember the days of Teletubby and Blues Clues birthday parties, this year it was Paintball.  It was dirty, it was sweaty and it involved balls and guns - what could make 14 year old boys (and their fathers) happier?
They had a great time!
Then it was pizza, cake, ice cream and candy... again the trifecta of Zack happiness!




I can't believe my sweet, precious baby boy is actually 14 years old!  It seems like just the other day we were watching Barney, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and reading The Gruffalo and Going to Sleep on the Farm together.  Now it's Xbox and Minecraft, hours in his room,  pizza and corn dogs and zombie books.

I hear the voice deepening, I see the sprinkle of zits across his nose, the feather dusting of hair on his upper lip and see him sprouting up and up, but  I can still picture that sweet little boy in my head, the one that always told John, " Doe way, I wuv mommy!"  I know it's the natural progression of life, but I'm just amazed by how fast it goes.

What I don't see is the typical teenage sullenness, attitude, selfishness or disdain for his family.  I don't want to jinx myself, but 99% of the time he is easy going, he does what he's asked to do, he's pleasant to be around and he is funny!!  Is he perfect?  No.  He spends too much time on the computer, he can be less than motivated with his school work and I can't get him to eat a vegetable to save his soul....but he's no teenage GIRL!  There's no drama, there's no sullen silences, there's no snide under breath muttering. Boys are so different...

I find myself actually looking forward to watching him move into high school and develop into the wonderful man I know he's going to be.  Not many parents of teenagers can say that!  I consider myself very blessed and very lucky to have such an amazing kid!  Happy Birthday Zackman!

No comments:

Post a Comment