Friday, January 24, 2014

We don't need no stinkin' Christmas letter, because any letter is better than no letter!

Among the other things I didn't get done on time for Christmas, like mailing out Christmas gifts, was also writing our annual Christmas letter.  When I first realized I wasn't going to get it done in time for Christmas, I just shifted gears and aimed for a New Year's letter - after all, it wouldn't be the first time I was a little late.  Well… that didn't come to pass, so I set my sights on a Martin Luther King Day letter, and then finally maybe a Chinese New Year letter… Finally it was the 2 snow days that spurred me on… So here it is… better late than never….

Welcome to the 1st annual “write it whenever the hell I get to it” Hyzy family letter.  It seems like it gets harder and harder to write this letter each year, mainly because, and I hesitate to say this,  my children no longer irritate or bewilder me on a regular basis!  I fear my letter will turn into one of those nauseating missives of positiveness that I used to make fun of.   I’ve always preferred my news with a little sarcasm and a lot of humor!  So, let’s see what I can come up with…

Brenna is a junior at Radford University and doing amazing if we squint when we look at her Organic Chemistry grade.  She spent her Spring Break in the Galapagos Islands studying Evolution and the unique animals living there…and I don’t mean the boys!  She’s also been all over Virginia and Tennessee studying bats and researching the White Nose Syndrome that is affecting them in the U.S.  She’s become quite the bat expert and will be helping to present their findings at the Virginia State Wildlife Society meeting this year.  Our previously girlie girl now regularly camps, goes caving and can catch just about any critter she sees.  She’ll be heading back to the Virgin Islands this year as a TA (teaching assistant) and hoping to do some more research that will allow her to publish!  If she has one fault, it’s that she does things too fast… she drives too fast, spends her money too fast and dammit she’s growing up too fast!  When she’s home with us, she’s funny, pleasant and helpful and I think she’d be my friend even if she wasn’t my daughter!

Zack is a sophomore in high school, ¼ inch away from 6 feet tall and doing great!  At least we think he’s doing great, but since he only comes out of his room for bacon and Poptarts it’s hard to tell.  I get most of my news about him from Facebook and his friend’s mothers!  His grades are great, his attitude  It’s amazing to watch him row in those boats!  Aside from the fact that sometimes we forget what he looks like and I wish he’d stop growing – he’s practically perfect!
is so “non-teenage” that I sometimes worry we’re going to end up on Jerry Springer when we find out that he’s been running a meth lab or exotic animal smuggling ring from his room, and he’s kicking a** on the high school Crew team.

John is still the Program Director for Ft. Belvoir’s two satellite health clinics.  He splits his time   He’s also spent time on Capital Hill hobnobbing with Senators, Representatives and other big muckety-mucks talking about the future of military medicine.  When he’s not working, he’s still playing hockey every week and is one of his team’s leading scorers, while at the same time trying to dominate both his fantasy football league and the local wildlife.  2 – deer, 2 – turkeys this year… Wildlife 0 Hyzy 4!
between both clinics and with over 47,000 patients he stays plenty busy.

This has been an eventful year for me.  Last December I completed a Couch to 5K program and so I spent most of 2013 running!  I did twelve 5K races (one a month) for my 2013 resolution.  I began a love affair with running shoes (some may say obsession) – I now own three pairs that I actually run in… the others don’t count. J  For the girl who never ran – not even to the bathroom – it’s been quite a transformation.  And I like it!  I have my eye on a Half-marathon and Sprint Triathlon for 2014.    I also got a job…for money!  I am now officially Woodbridge High School’s “copy girl.”  I work Mon-Fri from 7-12pm making copies for the whole school…for money!  SWEET GIG!  Let me tell you, we aren’t saving any trees in Woodbridge, I make and average of 25-30,000 copies A DAY!  Don’t let anyone tell you the Principal runs the school… the power is in the copy room!

Here’s hoping your 2014 is fun, fabulous and full of wonderful surprises!

John, Julie, Brenna, Zack                              

No comments:

Post a Comment