Monday, July 23, 2012

New Recipe Night - Reviews are mixed.

Tonight's offering...
Brown Sugar and Balsamic Glazed Pork Loin
It was suppose to look like this...it didn't!
1 (2lb) boneless pork tenderloin
1 tsp grd sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup water

Glaze:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
   2 Tbsp soy sauce

Combine sage, salt, petter and garlic.  Rub over roast.  Place in slow cooker with 1/2 cup water.  Cook on Low 6-8 hours.  About 1 hour before roast is done, combine ingredients for glaze in small sauce pan.  Heat and stir until mixture thickens.  Brush roast with glaze 2 or 3 times during the last hour of cooking.  Serve with remaining glaze on the side.  

I served it with Herb mashed potatoes and Parmesan roasted zucchini and squash.   Brenna and John both liked it.  Me, not so much.  

I love the idea of the crock pot.  Put your stuff in in the morning and when dinner rolls around it's ready to go.  What's not to love?   I am always cutting out "no fail" crock pot recipes to try.  Unfortunately, I have yet to find a "no fail" crock pot recipe.  (Chili and soup don't count).  To me no matter what I do the meat always turns out grey and dry.  Dry? You say?  I know it doesn't seem possible since Crock Pot is the epitome of slow, juicy cooking.  Not so much in the Hyzy house.  Just like always this meat looked grey, until I covered it with the glaze (which was yummy) but it still seemed dry to me.  So, while it got 2 out of 3 yes votes, I won't be cooking it again.  I think I just need to bid farewell to the crock pot and get it off the shelf where it just sits taunting me!

No comments:

Post a Comment