Thursday, May 5, 2011

Am I the only one conflicted?

This blog is in no way shape or form reflective of the world in general.  For the most part it's only about my little corner of the world and since no one but my husband and mother probably read it that's fine.  But I do plan on printing it off each year and attaching it to the scrapbook for that year and so I wonder should I comment on current events going on in my world.  Will "all" the people in the future thumbing through the scrapbooks and reading the blog wonder about what was going on in the world at the same time.

Will they care that gas hit the $4 mark here or that it seems every person on the DC city council is being arrested for misuse of funds and fraud or that we have some sort of trillion dollar debit in our nation, that many of the middle eastern countries are rising up and protesting their dictators, that Japan is dealing with an earthquake induced nuclear meltdown, tsunamis or that the largest number of tornados ever hit the midwest 2 weeks ago?  I don't know and sadly I am really not the best person to comment on current events.  I don't read newspapers either real or online and I don't watch the national news mainly because I'm not around a TV when it's on, but also because it's never good.  It's only famine, fighting, disasters and government name-calling and ideology bashing.  I don't like listening to my children bicker and I don't like listening to my elected leaders do it either.  I've been relying on my friends and husband to let me know if there is something I should be aware of.
The only exposure to the news I get is from 6-615am while I'm laying in bed waiting for the weather.  So, if it doesn't make that portion of my local news then I don't know about it.

Needless to say (but I will anyway) this weeks news made my 15 min window.  On Sunday May 1st Osama Bin Laden was killed by US Special Forces troops.  Apparently spontaneous celebrations broke out all over the US, at ball games, at concerts and in the streets.
Am I the only one a little uncomfortable with that?  Don't get me wrong, am I glad he's dead - YES.  Do I think the world is a better place - YES.  Do I think he deserved a trial and all the attention that goes along with that - DEFINITELY NO.  Do I think he deserved to die - Yes probably so.  But do I want to go out in the streets and cheer and party and celebrate the death of another person, another human?  No, I don't think I do.  I will leave you with a quote I read on another blog I follow...

“I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
-Martin Luther King Junior

No comments:

Post a Comment