Friday, May 27, 2011

Hassenpfeffer anyone?

Once again... a moment of weakness and we have a new addition to the Hyzy House.  The story goes... a coworker of Brenna's found this "precious" bunny in the gutter during a storm and brought it home, but for whatever reason couldn't keep it and apparently shelters only keep bunnies for 3 days before the bunnies get an all expense paid trip to bunny nirvana.  Well, those of you that know Brenna can hear the horrified, outraged screams from where you are...
Understand that most of this was taking place as I was driving down to Philadelphia with the Crew team.    Texting is a wonderful and horrible invention.
Then the words that almost sealed my fate came vomiting out of my mouth... "If you can't find anyone else to take it, it can come stay at our house for a little bit."
So, Hassenpfeffer came to live at the Hyzy House Animal Hotel...

He is a sweet bunny and very obviously a pet, very calm and docile.  Loves to be held and shows no fear whatsoever of people or the dogs.  The kids love playing with him and holding him and for one brief weak moment I thought it might be fun to have a little bunny, but we all know how this story ends... After the 2 week honeymoon period, the kids won't even remember we have a rabbit and it will fall to mom to clean, feed, water and exercise little ole' Hassenpfeffer!  I've heard this story before... it's the Hyzy dog story, it's the Hyzy snake story and trust me I don't need a Hyzy rabbit story!

I continue to inject the word "fostering" into our conversation at every opportunity.  And my children continued to pretend that english was not their first language and they didn't have any idea what I was talking about...
Then all the "leads" Brenna had for bunny homes dried up - imagine that - but I was not daunted!  Word went out to Facebook, friends and strangers on the street, who I accosted and insistently offered a free, adorable, precious bunny until they ran the other way.

But I was not to be foiled and SUCCESS....  Hassenpfeffer has a new home!  The actual move-in date has not yet been determined, but he is going home!  Actually just up the street to a neighbors, who have bunny experience.  They have all the equipment - their bunny went to the great bunny hutch in the sky and they have been looking for a replacement and Hassy FIT THE BILL!
Neighbors - happy
Hassenpfeffer - happy
Mom - happy
Brenna and Zack - not so much
For a brief moment I was the best mom in the world and now I'm the worst.  It's my cross to bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment