Sunday, November 13, 2011

Leftover Night on a whole new level

Last night we had Leftover Night in the cul-de-sac.  We are making the most of the last few days of beautiful Fall weather before the cold, ice and snow drive us indoors.  I love Leftover Nights anytime because it means I can totally wash my hands of the whole dinner process!  No thinking about what we're going to eat, no shopping for the extra "critical" items I don't have even though I thought I did, no actual cooking which means I can squeeze a few extra games of Spider Solitaire in before the guilt becomes too much for me. No worrying about who is eating what and whether a Lego waffle counts as dinner.  On Leftover Night everyone is ON THEIR OWN!  Sometimes if I'm feeling particularly generous, I will take out the various leftovers and set them on the counter - so there is no confusion.  On a side note,  both John and now sadly Zack lack the ability to find anything (especially in the mysterious cold box) in the kitchen unless it has flashing lights and a sign with rhinestones on it!  They can stand in front of the open refrigerator door and insist with a perfectly straight and concerned face that there is absolutely No.Butter.In.This.Refrigerator!  Even my "hints" don't help... "Are you sure, it should be a brown container on the 2nd or 3rd shelf....MARKED BUTTER???"  "No, it's not here, I"m sure we're out... Now what am I going to put on my....?"   Until I get up and march over there and point to the brown container marked butter that is (maybe) partially behind the ketchup! EVERY.FREAKING.TIME.  But I digress....

Neighborhood Left Over night is even better... because it's not really leftover night at all.  You get to clean out your refrigerator AND eat something you didn't cook!  THE.BEST.EVER!  So last night we drug the tables out and the chairs and whatever we had to contribute.  There were ribs, chili, taco soup, chicken noodle soup, salad, baked beans, potato casserole and both Oreo and Chocolate Pie!  SCORE!!!

Even better it's another excuse for the cul-de-sac to gather like Leave it to Beaver and hang out.  The kids run around, the mom's chat and solve the world's problems and the guys got an impromptu poker game together.  Everyone's happy, well fed and the plates are paper so there's not even any dishes to do!

I'm not sure it can get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment