Friday, January 27, 2012

New Recipe Night - Shrimp with Lemon-Saffron Rice

I've lost count of my successes and I think that's a great place to be.  We had a real rough patch last year... a real dry spell... nothing terrible, I didn't kill anyone, but there weren't a lot of recipes added to the ole cookbook.  But it looks like 2012 and shaping up to be a red-letter year!  Last night Zack and I had Shrimp with Lemon-Saffron Rice.  Actually technically is was Shrimp and Kielbasa with Lemon Saffron Rice, because we love us some kielbasa in the Hyzy House.  And if you want to get even more technical, Zack actually had shrimp and kielbasa with a clementine or 18 on the side, but that's a whole other story.  He didn't want anything to do with the rice.  He prefers his carbs in the form of cereal or Eggo waffles.
It was very tasty.  I actually used Saffron Threads, so it better have been good, because those thing cost $19 for an amount that would fit on the head of a pin (maybe two pins).  I mean is the stuff made out of pure gold?  Why the hell does it cost so much, but even more importantly why did I pay for it when I could probably find a box of Uncle Ben's saffron rice for 99 cents???  I guess I was feeling wild and crazy and I had another recipe that also called for saffron threads so I figured "Why Not?"  Let's live life on the edge.  Little did I know that I probably won't have enough of my $19 saffron threads for both recipes.
So, here it is in all it's $19 saffron thread glory....
Shrimp with Lemon-Saffron Rice
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1lb peeled and deveined large shrimp
2 cups uncooked instant rice
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp saffron threads, crushed
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 (14oz) can low sodium chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas
2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat.  Add oil, onion and bell pepper; sauté 3 min or until tender.  Add garlic; cook 30 secs.  Add shrimp to pan' cook 30 secs stirring frequently.  Add rice and next 7 ingredients - through broth.  Bring to a boil, cover pan.  Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until rice is done.  Remove from heat; stir in peas and lemon juice.

Like I said I made a few changes, I added kielbasa because it's one of the few proteins the Zackman will actually eat.  That boy likes the pork - hot dogs, bacon, kielbasa, pulled pork.  He likes the pig that's for sure.  I also left out the peas because frankly they make me gag.  I hate the way the "pop" in your mouth when your eating.  It's an unexpected "what the hell did I just bite into" moment for me.  I prefer my peas to stand alone so I know what I'm getting.  I also forgot to take a picture, so you'll only get the "publicity" shot.  But it was good, another addition to the pork section or fish section of the cookbook!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy!

    So, about Saffron Threads, I was on a cooking show with my friend Aditi (http://medfield.tv/video/71211-spice-mantra-royal-rice-pilaf-vegetable-curry-mint-relish) at about 11 minutes she talks about Saffron. You'll be amazed you can get it as cheaply as you do!

    ReplyDelete