Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Buffalo Recap

I think maybe I should just title this whole blog year as the "recap" year since I don't seem able to blog in any sort of "real time."

Two days after our wonderful Christmas we loaded up for our post Christmas pilgrimage to Buffalo.  I like visiting Buffalo... I HATE the drive with an all consuming passion.  The only way to navigate it is Valium, ear plugs and my iPod.  I find it quite irritating to be trapped in the car for 9 hours with anyone, especially during the winter when the sniffing, throat-clearing, coughing and sneezing is non-stop and makes me want to poke my eyes out and drive an ice-pick through my ear drums!  All though it would seem smarter to poke everyone else! :o)
            We had a very nice visit with everyone...spent time with all the cousins, went bowling, saw Uncle Gary and his Speedy Parker Blues Band play a "gig."
The only thing I hate about going to Buffalo is THE BED!  My In-laws have the worst, hardest, most awful bed I've ever slept in.  I might almost rather sleep in the woods.  You can't sleep for more than an hour in any one position with out starting to ache all over.  So John and I spend the whole night tossing and turning and waking each other up.  I'm old.... this doesn't work for me.  I need my sleep.  I need my sleep uninterrupted... it's why I stopped having babies!  Sleep, I love my sleep.  The last night we were there Brenna slept over at the cousins, so after everyone went to bed... John and I snuck into the other guest room with the two double beds and slept!  Boy did we sleep.  It's probably one of the first times in my life that actually snuck into a bedroom to sleep! :o)
I also find the older I get, the less I like being away from my own house and my pups and all my stuff.  I now that's bad, most people enjoy the excitement, the variety, the new experiences, the change of pace.  Not me,  I love my stuff, I love my rou live tine - being out of my comfort zone make me itchy.  It's stressful for me.  It's funny, once in 4th grade I had to write a poem.  I can't remember it all, but it went something like this...

I will be a hermit when I grow up,
and never ever, ever have to clean up.
I'll in a shack with an old towel rack,
eating hard bread in my old, old bed.
I'll never do math or take a bath.
I'll grow my own food and to the neighbors be rude.

Sadly, that's all of my poetic genius that I can remember, but rather prophetic if I don't say so myself.
We had a very quiet New Year's in Rochester.  Watched movies, gorged on bacon wrapped venison tenderloins and MaryBeth's apple pie.  It doesn't get much better than that!  Here's looking forward to 2012 I hope it's will be as great as 2011 was!

No comments:

Post a Comment