Monday, December 3, 2012

The end of an era....

    For the first time in over 7 years, the Hyzy House is Snake-less...  I'm feeling a little sadder than I expected to be.  It certainly feels like the end of an era.  I've loved having these snakes,  I've loved being known as the "snake lady," I loved taking the snakes into classes and preschools, but it's just gotten to be too much.  I never even knew I like snakes until John made us get one "for Zack."  And suddenly they became "my snakes."  I've always said snakes make the best pets, not guilt, no pressure...but now even the snakes are making me feel guilty.  Nobody does anything with the snakes anymore except me.  I'm not sure they even remember we have snakes.  We're all just so busy with everything, we never have time to take them out, so I agreed it was probably time for them to go to new homes. :o(

     Brenna took Hephaestus back to Radford with her.  Hes found a nice home with one of Brenna's friends who already has a boa.  I felt pretty good about that, she's a snake owner and knows what she's getting into.  He'll be much happier there.  We put Baby Snake (who's no longer the baby) up on Craigs List and she was snapped up in no time.  She's going to be a Christmas present for a girl who's wanted a snake for a long time.  The dad came by today and seemed very nice and very excited about Baby Snake.

    Now it's very weird.  The cages are gone, we've moved one of the bookcases, it's just weird and sad.  I didn't realize how often I reflexively check on the cages to see what the snakes are doing and every time I look in the room and they aren't there it's startling.  It was a good run and maybe some day we'll have snakes again, but for now I guess I'll just get use to this new norm.
Our first baby - Orio

2nd baby - Maize, one of my favorites

Blaze

Baby Snake

Our final baby - Hephaestus
It was a good run.  I think it's pretty funny, that I'm sad about snakes.  But my babies are my babies, cold-blooded, warm-blooded, minimum effort, maximum effort and I'm sad when they are gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment